Monday, May 3, 2010

New Shoes and new developments

Jack has a new love in his life: his new sneakers. Or, as he would call them, teakers. He adores them. He picked them out for himself, courtesy of a shopping trip with Gram gram, because they looked like Daddy's shoes. Since he wore them home on Saturday we have only gotten them off of him to sleep-- and that is only with much cajoling and repeated assurances that the shoes will be there for him to wear again just as soon as he wakes up.

Jack is enamored with his shoes in every possible way. He asks us all the time "What you think of my new shoes??" and will point out to anyone who will listen: "see, see, they have white, and blue, and BLACK!" He loves the sound they make when he runs and stomps and insists that his new shoes are "really trong!!" I don't think I have ever seen him as consistently excited about anything as he is about these shoes.

An interesting new development related to these "strong shoes" is his other new fascination: Stomping on ants. Perhaps he has engaged in this activity before without my being aware of it, but I do think it coincided directly with the new shoes. After all, he stomps on everything else with them. At first he said he was scaring the bugs by stomping near them. But the part I am not sure how to deal with is that he is now talking about killing the ants, and noticing when they are dead. Earlier this evening he could be heard enthusiastically saying "Come on, ant! Be dead!" as he stomped. I have no idea where this came from. And while I am trying to not make a big deal about it to him, and I am sure it is perfectly normal behavior to stomp on ants, I must confess I am a little worried about the glee in his voice. In fact he assured me earlier, in his sweet and considerate, optimistic voice, that the ant "liked to be killed!" How does one respond to this in the appropriate manner to ensure that one is not raising a tiny, adorable psychopath? These are the questions I never thought I would be asking myself... hmmm.

On a more positive but still grown-up note, Jack's other new development today is that he napped--- actually SLEPT--- in his big boy bed. He was climbing around on it for fun as we got ready for the nap, and then when asked if he wanted to take his stuffed dog into his crib, he replied "no, in my big boy bed" I said, "Ok, the dog can sleep in you bed" and he said "No, I sleep in my big boy bed". What was I going to say to that besides, "Ok!" He laid right down, snuggled in... and all was quiet for about 15 minutes. Then, strange knocking noises... Nat went up to find that Jack had turned on his humidifier and placed all of his stuffed animals into his crib. He told Jack that he could try one more time to sleep in his bed but that if he got out, it was into the crib with him, too. Lo and behold, silence fell. We peeked in about 20 minutes later to find this little cherub tucked in, head on pillow, sound asleep in his bed. Have to admit that we both teared up a bit. When exactly did he grow up so completely?? Nat reminded me that he has yet to dress himself or poop in the potty, not to worry. He's not completely grown up, just yet.

No comments: