Friday, June 15, 2012

My week as a mom



My first week of summer break!  Oh, how I treasure sleeping in til 7 (or later!) each day.  What a decadent treat.  Its also been a treat to see my children for more than three (tired and cranky) hours in the evening.  I've felt almost like a real mom, doing errands, tidying the house, squiring them to the pool and the park and various events, watching my son at gymnastics, going to playdates.

I could get used to this, I think.

The weather has been stunning this week and we've been out enjoying it, the kids and I.  While Jack has been at gymnastics camp, Ivy and I have spent mornings together, shopping at Eton and Legacy, and traipsing around the Botanical Gardens, pretending to the lifestyle of the East-Side stay-at-home-moms.   In the evenings, while Nat teaches his summer class, we've been going to the pool.  We've decided to really take advantage of the free wading pool privileges at Cumberland pool this summer, now that both kids are independent waders and burgeoning swimmers.  We've walked over to the pool three nights this week, enjoying the evening sun and what turns out to be a surprisingly easy activity to do with my darlings.  They're completely independent in the wading pool, and completely engaging and fun to play with in the "kids lane" of the big pool.  Jack is excited to be able to touch in the 3 foot section and is much more confident.  And Ivy, in the three days we've gone, is now able to float around independently, holding on to a "barbell" (or "Curbies," as she calls them).  Won't be long before I'm reading a book on one of the chaise lounges, living the fabled life of luxury that is "mom of independent, older kids".

Though, these golden-light days do tempt the wish to freeze time right here and now.












1 comment:

jacksgram said...

How great to have the pool close by! Looks like fun. M