Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Little Nudists

I think you all know by now that my children have a propensity towards nudity.

Apples and trees and all.

So the following anecdotes will not surprise you, though (hopefully) they will bring a smile to your face.

-----

Yesterday, Jack had an impromptu playdate with a friend from Pre-K, a sweet little girl whose stay-at-home dad became friends with Nat. Jack and M. went upstairs to play in his room while the grown ups and little siblings stayed downstairs. Eventually Ivy tired of both grown up conversation and looking at the 3 month old baby, and went up to join them.  A few quiet minutes later, Nat thought he ought to go check things out and be sure little trouble wasn't causing too much of it.  He walked in the room to find Jack naked, Ivy stripped to her diaper, and M. pulling her skirt back up with a quick, "I was just putting my clothes back on!!"

Thankfully her dad is a relaxed sort of guy and did not freak out that his daughter was getting naked up in our son's room.  Of course, this event  followed on the heels of Jack's offer earlier in the afternoon, to let M. watch him pee standing up. Oh, Jack...

I imagine we won't be laughing so much when they are sixteen... except perhaps when we share this blog post with them....


-----

Today, Ivy and I spent a lovely day shopping with Gram, who spoiled us with lunch out and a set of coordinating outfits from Gymboree.  Ivy was content to watch TV as we held up lime green and pink items in various combinations and made our decisions ( I have to admit, though my heart belongs to resales, it was pretty fun to pick out brand new clothes for the girl).  I gathered her up as we went to pay, and she noted that her diaper was causing her distress in some way.  I told her not to worry, we'd change her in the car, and I deposited her in the stroller.  Moments later I glance over to see her, skirt hiked up above her waist, proudly holding her diaper over her head.

Thankfully, it was only wet.

And you have to hand it to a girl for being independent.

(On that note, I am not sure I've mentioned on here that we've started potty training, in a half-hearted and only-when-its-convenient sort of way, mostly consisting of leaving her diaper free in the evenings at home.  She's peed on the potty a total of 4 times now but enthusiastically tries all the time.  And, apparently, she's embracing the bare-bottomed lifestyle...)

-----

In other news, these past few days have brought frustrations (getting our sensitive boy to try his gymnastics camp) and trials (as Nat deals with the bureaucratic nightmare of arranging his thesis defense)-- but also perfect sunshiney trips to the pool and walks and a just-a-bit-slower pace to things.  And margaritas on the porch, too.

Summer is a good thing, and our children are funny, and I promise I will post pictures soon!


No comments: