Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Beginning to look a lot like Christmas....



I've been a bit of a scrooge so far this Christmas season, I have to admit. I had several moments this weekend where I came close to cursing the name of Christmas, sure that this holiday was invented purely to add more work, mess, and general chaos to my life.

We did manage to put up, light and decorate a tree this weekend... at the cost of getting no cleaning or laundry completed. And, there are still 3 more boxes of decorations to go.

Sigh. Can't do it all, I suppose.

Still, I am grateful that we took the time to get a little Christmas on around here. Extra work and all, it is delicious to have the glow of the tree complementing the glow of our little electric fire.

And, I am loving the little village. A last minute, clearance-at-Walgreens purchase last year, I think it may become a mainstay. Jack and Ivy both loved setting it up, arranging and rearranging the little people. Miniatures are magic, especially at Christmastime...


Jack was very into decorating the tree this year. In fact, I'd say he decorated about 80% of that tree by himself, with only minor adjustments from perfectionist-mom, to spread out a few clusters of ornaments.

You know what I loved about decorating the tree with him this year? His comments on each ornament, his obvious enjoyment of each one, getting to tell him, in tiny snippets, a little about what each ornament means to me. He was so very careful with them, and so very focused on his task. It's astounding, isn't it, just how grown up he is?

Ivy girl was interested in the process, in so much that she wanted to remove the ornaments as we put them up. She also enjoyed breaking apart pieces of styrafoam, and playing with the village. She's certainly a more active participant this year than last, but she's no 4 year old.  Not yet.

You know, I am starting to get really excited about spoiling these two on Christmas morning. The magic of the lights is starting to spread...


Here's a random photobooth shot of Nat and I, just for fun.


No comments: