Monday, December 20, 2010

Snowy weather

I am at Starbucks this morning, ostensibly getting a morning's worth of work done on curriculum planning and alternate assessments, for school. As you can see, I am multi-tasking a bit! It is lovely to be here, watching the snow fall, the buzz of conversation around me, the smell of coffee in the air. I could really get into the life of a freelancer. Who needs an office when there is Starbucks in the world?

It is STILL a winter wonderland out there. While I won't put it past Cleveland to have a thaw between now and Christmas (4 days!!), its been a beautiful, snowy December and I am loving the constant white. Could be a slow drive to Lakewood when I head out to bake cookies with my mom this afternoon, but really, I don't mind. I'm on break! I'm on my "day off!" I am inno hurry and slippery or not the snow has me in a festive mood.

Jack is in a festive mood too. Nat noted the boy's head may pop before we make it to Christmas, he is just sooo excited. A few times a day he asks us if it is Christmas morning yet. We have put a few packages out under the tree. He is in love with a package wrapped in silver paper and carries it around with him sometime. The other day he lovingly gazed at it while using the toilet. He is certain that it contains hot wheels and I fear he will be sorely disappointed when he opens it to find pajamas. Even if they have rocket ships on them and glow in the dark. He is doing a great job on waiting to open the presents, though, I have to give him that. He understands that he will wake up to Christmas morning, so he asks if it will be after his nap... We made a paper chain last night to help him understand that there is still some time to go before the big event. (He still really struggles with concepts of time, night and day, etc). I am hoping that Christmas morning lives up to all this anticipation! This is the first year he's been so aware of everything. And the first year he's had preferences for what he wants. Yesterday at our Fake Christmas Morning celebration with our friends, much whining and unhappiness ensued when he did not like the hot wheels he recieved (he much preferred the one Greg got, of course). Here's hoping he still likes Geotrax....

It is wonderful to be on break, even more so as we've not gotten too much sleep the past 3 nights due to two sick kids. I am actually thankful that they seems to be getting their Christmas illness out of the way before Christmas, but it is still pretty awful to have two sick kids. Really. Not fun at all. Thank god there are two of adults in the house, too. Night before last Nat stationed himself upstairs to deal with Jack's frequent "blow my nose!!!!" wakings and I spent the night rocking and administering Ibuprofen and Acetominophen to a feverish girl downstairs. Last night, thankfully, the on-the-mend boy slept well so Nat and I split the night with the miserable baby girl, rocking her in her carseat, changing poopy diapers and doing lots of shushing. She woke this morning with a normal temp so fingers crossed we are emerging from this spate of illness at our house.

OK, back to work with me. I have an hour before meeting Nat and the kids for lunch. Nat was taking those 32 week photos this morning (a little late, we didn't want to memorialize poor Ivy's flushed-cheek, booger-faced,glassy-eyed look) so check for those tonight.

Snowy regards and a holiday mood to you all!

No comments: