Saturday, December 11, 2010

Sitting here by the fire...

and wishing I had time to really write. Not just hastily add one or two typo-ridden anecdotes about the children. Not just caption a few photos. But really write. Muse. Ponder. Describe. Detail.

It's been a wonderful past few days around here, really. Busy busy busy. Why do I have no time to write? Partly because of the children, of course. Its easy to balem them, their night wakings that sap my energy, the constant need to play with hot wheels or bounce a baby or prepare a meal or tuck in to bed... But its not entirely their fault, to be honest. By the end of this week I will have spent a total of about 9 hours at rehearsals and concerts, performing the Messiah with a local orchestra. In addition to the WSC winter concert last weekend. I am taking an online course for Behavior Analyst certification. I just started doing morning reading tutoring and I am going to the gym 2-3 times a week. These are all good things. Wonderful things. Many qualify, I daresay, as rich-and-beautiful-life things. But they take the time, these wonderful things, leaving only snippets here and there, at the tail end of a long full day, to sort through all the events and the thoughts that went with them, here by our cheerful fake fire in our pine-scented, candle-decked, laundry-strewn living room...

I've had a couple of really wonderful drives this week, along routes that I rarely travel, as I have headed to and from the Messiah rehearal and performance. The novelty of finding my way to a new location, scoping out the houses and general scenery of a new route-- it is such fun! Stimulating and almost freeing. On my usual drives, so familiar I slip into auto pilot before I buckly my seatbelt, my mind wanders to my day, rehashing or planning or both. But the novelty-- I am alert and aware and observing everything as I search for the right street signs, and if my mind wanders-- it tends to go to the new, too, to far-flung plans for the future to imaginings of the distant past, to wild what-ifs and ideas for change, to places and things that might never happen but are sure fun to think about... This week I got to explore routes to downtown on my way to and from Tri-C Metro. Who knew Prospect Ave had a section with fantastic old brownstones? And there is so much new construction on Euclid! Driving on Carnegie and looking at the backs of factories I could sense the dissatisfaction that had driven the Millionaires out of Millionaires Row. Tonight on my way back home from Parma, I discovered that 176 East offers a most spectacular, panoramic view of the lights of the city, downtown and the spreading industrial valley to the south, framed by a marvelous stack of highway engineering. As this particular view opened up before me, the song "Where are you Christmas" was playing on the radio. And I thought to myself, my breath catching a bit at the lovliness of it all, the red-and-green of the Terminal Tower glittering up ahead-- here. Christmas is right here.

Incidentally, I have to say that I am a fan of the constant stream of Christmas music being played on a few local stations. Sensitivity to other religions be damned. It's Christmas and I want to be able to sing along with carols and cheesy Christmas songs at any moment. Thank you, 106.5.

Tomorrow promises the same sort of full-and-wonderful busy-ness as today. We are hosting Soup Supper tomorrow evening so we're going to try to be smart and use our crockpot as we also need to clean the house and I have a concert to be at by 3:00...I'd love to decorate the tree, too. Perhaps we'll even fold the laundry!

Hey, a girl can dream, right??

Finally, because it just feels weird to write a post that is not centered on the children... here's a little slideshow of today.

1 comment:

Kate said...

It was lovely to see you yesterday evening. Nat mentioned you had to leave quickly to go sing. Hope the concert went well. :-)