Tuesday, July 11, 2023

June Part Four- Home and Away

It might work best to count the amount of time I was at home between Michigan and Savannah in hours rather than days. Enough time to unpack, do laundry, go to cocktail choir and a friend's birthday party and Cleveland Heights Pride and a swim meet, and then we were off again, for vacation number 3 in 3 weeks. It's a hard life, isn't it?

 Cocktail Choir, the June edition, "Simply the Best" and "___", an amazing time with a lot of "regulars" who are fast becoming friends.  I learned that while I love to drink and sing with strangers, I do not in fact enjoy Mezcal. 

Swim meet- Home against Mentor.  One of my favorite pastimes is watching my kiddos with their team.  Note Jack encouraging his sister before her race.  They can't help but be affected by the supportive environment.  It's also always enjoyable to watch my boy just dominate in the pool. My favorite thing is when spectators from the other team say things like, "look at that kid go!"  It's a blessing to be able to watch your child find their talent and excel.  He's working hard to do his very best this year and I am so very proud.


Speaking of pride-  Cleveland Heights had their first ever Pride event this year and it was great.  Not too big but super fun, great drag show, lots of friends to see and chat with.  Hoping this will be an annual event.  I love our community.



Drove to Akron and back on Saturday night for a chorus friend's birthday party (which was an absolute blast and may or may not have involved jello shots) and then at 3:00 on Sunday Nat and I found ourselves having dinner at the Observation Deck restaurant at the Akron Canton airport, on our way to Savannah for an "adults only" getaway. 
What a gorgeous city to spend a few days in.  The riverwalk!  The town squares with their fountains and liveoaks and spanish moss!  The architecture!  The rooftop bars!  The wine slushies and taking drinks everywhere! The sweltering heat!

Our activities ranged from wandering historic neighborhoods to historic home tours to drag shows.  We spent a day on Hilton head and visited Tybee Island and became regulars at a fantastic Thai restaurant and went to a rooftop bar every night (do not even ask what we spent on drinks, we don't want to think about it!)  We had brilliantly sunny, perfect weather (if a tad bit hot) and a lovely downtown Airbnb apartment for a home base and we had so much fun.







































Our five days away flew by and before you know it we were back home, to fetch children back from where we'd pawned them off (Jack to Nolan's house, no you are not quite ready to stay home alone, kiddo...) and Ivy for a road trip to Dayton with Melinda and the girls) and jump right back into swim meets and riding and theater performances. 






We soaked up 3 more days at home and then it was July and time for Farley's.  I think I was home for 7 total days in June?  What a month.  What a life.  Summer is spinning away from me faster than I can catch but I am here for the chase. 
 

No comments: