Wednesday, July 5, 2023

A week in June...

Here is the story of the 7 days I had at home between Costa Rica and Michigan.

(What a summer! and this was only the beginning...)

A good deal of time on those days was spent at work, where I am participating in a training for Math Recovery (which will be half of my role at school next year). But in my off hours, we summered hard of course.  Would you expect any less?

Some of that summering looked like a pool deck, with the start of the the Tigersharks season...


And some of that summering looked like crazy creativity and people on stilts, at the first Parade the Circle since the pandemic. 


We had a grand time oohing and ahhing at the floats and the music- and watching these three kids be together.  Remember when they were babies on a blanket??
And of course some of it looked like the beach.
And sometimes you just see a really great sign at a coffee shop...
Ivy and Vio are interning with Mallory this summer, which for 13 year olds sometimes looks like helping out at events by being in charge of the visiting pony.

Here's Ivy with Al Capony, at the Pride Carnival at a local trans youth center.



Here's Al, all decked out.
I was intensely proud of Ivy for walking that pony around and interfacing with all the people who wanted to pet him.  That's a big stretch for my introvert.  I love the way horses bring out the best in her.
The whole event brought out the best in all of us and was fun from start to finish, with a heartwarming kids drag relay race and an inspiring speech from a trans state senator.  I had a great time helping out and being with friends, in addition to watching my kiddo shine.  Puerto Rican food to celebrate after didn't hurt, either. 
Another highlight of our week of Cleveland summer-- the Indigo Girls!  So amazing to have them back at Cain Park so soon!  
We even managed to score some free extra pavilion tickets for our kiddos to come along, when the weather threatened rain.  It was the first concert for these three and they had a blast.
So did the grown ups.  This is my "of course I'm in the front row" smile.
The view was ok.  
And they played some amazing songs, including an encore of Juliet which never happens. It was amazing to share this experience with my college bestie and feel like we were 19 all over again. 
Ivy came running up after the concert to show me the full sleeve marker tatoo her friends gave her... and to say "Mom, you have to bring me to ALL of these."  Doing something right!


 Fitting it all in before leaving for Michigan!  Happy Hour with my work bestie.


Then back to Van Aken the very next night for Happy Hour with college friends! 


The kids' second swim meet.

Doesn't our head official look so very official?
And a little more pool time for me...
And one more visit to our home lake before visiting her northern cousin.
Father's day breakfast and then a drive to see family!

No comments: