Tuesday, November 1, 2022

Early October


Where have I been all October, you ask?  Outside.  That's where.  It has been just the most lovely of autumns around here, with foliage to beat the band and an inordinate number of shiny-sky, warm days falling most conveniently on weekends.  Combine this gift from nature with my regularly overscheduled life and you'll have the reason that nothing at all has gotten done around my house this month... including catching up on the blog. Here we are at the end of October and so I am typing like a madwoman (and sorting through thousands of photos) in an attempt to catch up before I look up and find myself in the middle of the holiday season...

Betty and I have been out 4 times in October.  Blessed both by this weather and by the ability to eek out enough free time to get onto the water... such bliss. Here's the Rocky River from the Metroparks marina to the lake. 


         

Got out with the family a bit too. Our teens would of course prefer to stay in their natural habitat of "bed" but its always worth the struggle to get them out in nature.   Pictured here: a whole family trip to the driving range (it's fun to join Jack in his interests/obsessions.  He was the sweetest coach to all of us) and to Viaduct Park, one of our favorite hidden gems in the area. 




We thought we knew this park quite well but then we found this giant tunnel.  That you can walk through!  It was so amazing.





Dinner al fresco at Van Aken District, which is one of my very favorite things these days.  I am sucker for carefully crafted fake cities, apparently.  And for Brassica and beer. 


(not a part of this post but we received this photo from my sweet cousin Lauren and her new hubby with our thank-you note.  Look how cute we were at their wedding,
A little return trip to Holden after work one day because, I mean, LOOK at it.  And we really should be taking advantage of our membership. I so wish this place was just a tiny bit closer to home.  Or that I had just a tiny bit more free time.  Because I would like to spend more time here, with a book, on any number of perfectly placed benches with curated, magical views...

This kitten.  We are apparently keeping her.  How could we not?  She is a purr machine who wants to be with us at all times and enjoys hanging out in the bathtub.  She fits right in to our household of weird mammals. 
Even in our nonstop life we find time for weekend shenanigans.  Like happy hour flights with my work bestie...
...and an attempted trip to the return of MIX at CMA. Which was sold out.  But we enjoyed the galleries by night and the house-beat ambiance from the balcony.  
And any excuse to wear my corset.  Talked into this by my daughter of course. 


Porch fire drinks were just as good as the cocktails at MIX, anyways. 

Our Broadway series this year started off with a bang, with the best production of Les Mis that I've every seen, in my long history of seeing Les Mis.  It was a joy to share this show with Ivy.  She was a bit nonplussed by the experience at first, but by the end she was hooked.  "you were right, mom, the second half IS so sad!" 


Home in time to join two of my very favorites on Zoom.  We are holding on to our Zoom happy hours as best we can as the pace of life continues to ramp up.  So many of the unexpected gifts of the pandemic have fallen to the wayside in favor of the frenetic pace of normal life.  But I don't want to lose the renewed connections we've made with our far-away friend family. 
October was a good month to rejoin my Sunday run group.  Fabulous running weather helps to offset the early wake-up, as do the conversations with friends.  In the craziness of this fall, something has had to give, and that something was running.  I'm only doing a 2-5 miles a week right now. Better than nothing I guess but I am looking forward to getting this old self in better shape just as soon as time allows...
Morning light with cats and tuba.  Sometimes this fall I feel like I am never at home.  But Sunday mornings Nat and I  always find time for coffee together in the dining room.  A moment to stop and notice how lovely this crazy life really is. 

 



No comments: