Wednesday, November 2, 2022

Autumn Glory


Pleae view this assembled collection of photos that will show you one of the loveliest Octobers I can remember.  The weeks pictured here were a blur to live, full of singing and horse barns and kayaking and working and ski patrol and all the vicissitudes of life in between, rushing from one activity to the next, always a little on the late side. They also included plenty of driving time- and this month that was a very good thing, as those were my moments to breathe and enjoy the fleeting beauty of our fall foliage.

People often wonder why I am always taking photos. Its so I can remember my life. 


Weekly riding lessons with Mallory and Goose continue to be a highlight for Ivy and I.  I will never get tired of seeing the look on her face when she gets on that horse.  I'd say it's worth every minute of drive time-- but the drive time is a gift too.  A chance to talk and connect with Ivy and Violet, to just enjoy their company when they are both in the best of moods. 



I will also never get tired of kayaking!  I explored two new places in the past few weeks, with help from my work bestie Elissa.  Could there be a better use of an afternoon than floating through this view, enjoying a drink and talking (absolutely nonstop) with a wonderful friend?  




This month saw the end of Ivy's tennis season.  It is definitely not the sport of her heart but I am immeasureably proud of this kiddo for sticking it out all season long.  We enjoyed getting to know her teammates at the matches, and getting to chat with their parents too. It sure makes our lives busier, but I am so glad our kids participate in school sports.  


More joy- my dahlias!   As I type on November 2nd, I've still got 4 plants producing blooms like crazy- so I am counting this as a gardening success and I'm about to treat myself to a few more varieties to balance out my bouquets...
A break from the usual riding routine-- Friday night at the barn, getting Goose ready for a show. The girls had a blast washing him with his purple bleaching shampoo...
... and getting fajitas afterwards. 
The next day Ivy, Vio and I made it to Lake Farmpark to take in the decorations and the corn maze. And the impossibly beautiful day, and the way this little place is still absolute magic for my kids, just as it was when they were tiny... 



Then hustle quick to the next thing!  Always almost late!  We made it in time to watch Goose do his jumping rounds at his show.  Which were more Goose walking over or through the jumps because when you are this big jumping isn't really a thing for you...

It was the first horse show for all three of us and we had a blast being part of Goose's entourage.  He makes friends wherever he goes...

That Sunday I had a free afternoon on my hands.  So, I went sailing.  It turns out that one of the unexpected benefits of our ski patrol class is that not one but TWO of our classmates have sailboats- and love to have company when they go out.   First time in my life I've been out on a real sailboat and it was grand. 



This is Jeremy, the retired LifeFlight helicopter pilot from England who was our captain that day.  Also enjoyed getting to know Julie and Tyler a lot better.  It's been such fun to add these new friends to our lives, who we never would've crossed paths with but for this crazy class. 
Brief moments at home-- cooking an Asian feast with my girl, walking my doggo in our autumn-glow neighborhood...


Add to the list of "things I did in October that I don't usually do"-- a haunted house!  Not once but TWICE!  Who even am I??  Got talked into going with Chorus friends and was only convinced by the promise of margaritas beforehand.  Turns out-- it was kind of fun.  I mean, I screamed a lot. And also laughed so hard I gave myself a coughing fit.  But it was good, cheesy fun.  And good to have previewed a spot to take these girls,  who we weren't quite sure were ready for haunted houses.

They did fine.  Ivy was the screamer, Lillian was unfazed, and Naomi confronted the actors with intense glares and probing questions.  I love these three humans and how they are so very much themselves.   




Oh look!  More good weather!  Might just have to keep my kayak in my car for the day... just in case...



In the current iteration of our lives, weekday afternoons are not usually a time for outings.  But Chapin Forest was calling and our good weather continued into Monday and so we fit in one hour of perfection in one of my favorite spots.




The foliage was just past peak, but still an awe-inspiring amber expanse. 


It's been hard for my mom to get to church recently as she's still working on her walking after her fall.  So, we've been getting out for walks on the McGregor grounds.  We look for deer and admire foliage and sometimes bring the dog along.  I'm so grateful to have her living so close by.


Also grateful for my new chorus friends, who round out my busy days with drinks after rehearsal.  Sometimes a few nights in a row when we have Sunday sectionals.  They may be terrible influences on me, but I adore these people.  We laugh uproariously together, and they make me feel like I have a real home in the COC. 


  Is this lifestyle sustainable, with its days in the sunshine and nights at the bar, and all of the rest of life in between?  Probably not! :)  But this great weather won't last forever.  I'll sleep when its cold and rainy...

No comments: