Monday, April 14, 2014

Spring came on a weekend

We had a picnic.

Or three.

And oh what a wonderful wonderful weekend it was!

We had our first taste of real warmth, seventy degrees and sunshine everywhere.  It's my favorite time of year for my backyard, I think, what with all the daffodils coming out and tiny bits of green appearing-- but no pesky leaves on our trees to block that glorious light.  For these few weeks I dream of gardens..


Melinda and Will came over on Friday and Melinda left a "To Do" list on our fridge:  1. grill meatloaf  2. drink cider  3.   Play set 

A "To Do" list like that is a great way to start the weekend.

We made it through 1 and 2 successfully but never moved past the unwritten 4.:  Sit outside and soak up the sun while your children do who-knows-what inside.    It was good.

Saturday dawned crisp and bright. A perfect day for a run.  We had the whole family this time-- Bec and I running the 5K; Jack with a reluctant trouper of a dad in tow, running the mile; Ivy, Gram and Joe along to cheer.  It was a small race, benefiting what seems to be a very lovely nonprofit helping families in crisis.  A very laid-back, friendly vibe, with quite a few people running in "hero" costumes.  And plus, the secret benefit of signing up for a small race?  Jack came in first in the mile and I got third in my age group!  Who knew!?   The tragedy of the day was that there were no awards given for the mile.  Poor Jack.  The kid is so very, very serious about awards, and he was so very, very sure he'd won one. Thank god for a friendly squirrel who took his mind off the pain when it tried to run inside the building....

*note to self:  must get the really good shot of Jack crossing the finish line, to share here...







Thinking of our little award-loving boy-- we had to dash out right after awards to get back to the Heights in time for his first soccer game of the season.  I wasn't in love with Heights soccer at first.  Call me old fashioned, but I really prefer grass to artificial turf.  But on Saturday it was hard to not love everything about it.  Perfect sun (I think I got a little burn!) and everywhere we turned, there were people we knew-- friends from the neighborhood, the parent center, Ivy's preschool.  Talking with other parents and soaking up the sun while my boy bounced with excitement and joy out on the field.... priceless. 


Ivy and friend K from ballet-- they kept each other busy...
So that brings us to Saturday evening, when we just stayed home and .. oh wait.  Never mind.  I took the kids to a birthday party.  Where they ran around outside with other kids.  

What's a weekend without three major events a day, anyways?

We had a great time at baby Peter's first birthday.  He is one beautiful baby.  And Jack and Ivy are fans of all of his big kid friends! :)






We all slept well that night!

Sunday-- our first outdoor brunch of the season!  And the best french toast ever made.  Have I ever mentioned that I adore my husband?  Not just because he makes the best french toast.  But that's a really really big part of it. 


After breakfast, a whirlwind cleaning of the house and then off I went with the kids for a playground meetup and picnic with friends.  A beautiful, breezy hour...



... and then hurry hurry home so I could dash off to a baby shower and Nat could pick up H, Jack's friend from school whose mother just had a new baby.  I, incidentally, got to hold that 3 day old baby when I dashed back from the shower to take H. back home.  Worth the rush, to hold those 7 pounds of perfect tininess.  Oh my.  You forget how SOFT they are, those tiny ones...

I'd have stayed longer there but we had to get moving on setting up for Second Sunday Soup.  Our last of the season, and kind of a "makeup" for a few missed months during the Winter of Awfulness, the evening was a glorious send-off for the year.  The mix of children, 9 in all, played so very well together.  There were little faces scattered about the property, peeking out of the hammock, climbing (even the 2 year old!) into the treehouse, digging in the sand.  It almost hurt my heart to watch the perfection of those little people, filling up our yard just right.  The grownups gathered the food and the wine onto the patio table and drank up each other's company and it was comfortable and beautiful and felt like a deep breath in the midst of all life has thrown at us these past few months.    

Somehow, at odd moments in this crazy-busy weekend, I kept feeling like time had paused.  A little hold, a little space break, just right for savoring the goodness in our rich and beautiful lives.  It is so important to savor.

The weekend closed with cotton candy and tea and candlelight and 4 of my favorite people gathered on the patio one last time; exhausted little ones asleep upstairs, all pink cheeks  and soft breath and arms thrown out of the blankets; conversation and silences mixed in the cooling evening air.  

I'm so grateful that spring came on a weekend.  Here's hoping for more like this to come!

No comments: