Sunday, January 29, 2012

Untitled

I have been waiting for inspiration to strike, for some grand event or momentous milestone to spur me towards a wonderful post about the darlings...

But it has been another quiet weekend, full of comfortable routine and card games and dustings of snow.


Nat taught Jack to play poker this week, complete with betting (you put a chip in if you think you'll win).  The boy is obsessed.  He is thoughtful and focused on the task, carefully checking that he has 5 cards, carefully deciding if he wants one, two or three new cards, exclaiming with joy when he gets a pair.  "Oh, that's JUST the card I wanted!"  "I have a REAWWY high pair!"

He has a ways to go with his poker face.

He loves the game and for the most part is a terrific sport, though if we take a chip from him in a bet more than two times in a game, the tears come hot and fierce.  "IIII wanted to win!  I want to get a chip from YOU!"  Eyes ablaze and brimming with tears, face red, hands busy gathering the cards to play another round.   I have to smile at him, just a little, before composing my face into serene empathy for his emotions.  My little sensitive soul, that one.

The girl?  She is more of a comedian every day.  Tonight at bedtime was was cracking herself up.  Seriously.  We could hardly get through her bedtime routine because at every turn she was working herself into belly laughing hysterics, thrilled with her own jokes.  Her favorite goes back to the "What does little birdie say" incident.  Now she thinks its a big joke to present ANY animal as making a loud, high-pitched, kind of horrid squawking sound.  She did this on every page of the Zoo Babies book tonight.  Except by the end it was a loud, high-pitched, half-squawking-half-laughing sound because she couldn't handle how great her joke was.  She lost it again when she couldn't keep a grip on her jammies zipper (she likes to zip herself up these days), and then again when she pulled her chin down into the neck of the jammies and "hid there".
Her eyes just dance and her laugh is irresistable and she is going to be able to get away with murder, this one.


She's talking more and more these days, too.  We are starting to hear phrases strung together.  "Mommy-- oh-ee dis!"  ("open this" for those not fluent in Ivy-ese) or "me, up, bounce!"  She loves dancing, being naked, jumping and sliding, and playing with her little porcelain tea set.

I love her.

This morning we had a little time before heading to a play-date/ clothing swap meet-up at a friend's house.  (I love our friends, have I mentioned this before??) and I found myself with two snuggly creatures who were happy to share time reading a book.



Moments like this, I feel like I might be doing all right at this Mommy thing. 

Happy Sunday, all--
With love, 
Amanda

No comments: