Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Playground fun...

Today the weather warmed up above 25 degrees and Jack and I went to the Coventry playground to celebrate when I got home from work. It becomes so very clear what a big boy he's becoming, when we go to the 'big boy playground!' He is charging around confidently, running up the ramps-- and he has discovered the fun of slides. Something wonderful about the Coventry playground is that all of the slides are nice and wide-- plenty of room for a mommy and a baby to go down side by side, with a dog following behind. We must have made quite a picture, laughing our way down the great big slide that way. We spent about an hour outside and came back home with very pink noses... delightful way to spend some time with little man.

Jack is becoming the master of the "one-word commentary." Its amazing the way he can convey so much meaning with just a single, well-chosen word, particularly when many of his words sound rather the same as one another. He is so intentional in his speech. Those single words are considered seriously and the uttered with careful meaning-- requests, comments, discussions, queries... its quite something. I think he is moving just slightly toward the elusive two word commentary, though. Tonight, after he had finished not-really-eating his supper, he used his one-word commentary to ask to get down (dow?). I informed him that I would like him to stay in his high chair and try to actually take a bite or two of food. So he looked at me, with a combination of concern and deep caring, reached out his arm and patted me, and said "MA-ma." (beat) "dow." So there we had it. Two words which conveyed, with absolute clarity, "Mom, I hear what you are saying and I don't mean to argue here, but I think I am actually done eating and I really AM ready to get down. Can you help me out?" I had to give in when he asked like that!: :)
Here are some new words recently (it's a given that he does not necessarily pronounce the words as written. Generally all /b/ sounds are pronounced as /d/ and most words have either a beginning or an ending consonant, but not both. An * by the word, though, means he's got it spot-on)
park, Mike, dice *, Thomas (for his Thomas the tank engine videos), book (he signs this too), flush, top* (he loves taking off and replacing his sippy cup lids), milk, stairs*, chair*, ball, horse, cow, oink (for pig), van (he confuses this with bus sometimes), DVD, SUV

No comments: