Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Bring it on, Spring!

High of 46 and sunshine today...thank goodness! Jack and I got out for a lovely walk-about this afternoon when I got home from work. Our grown-up little boy walked from home, around the corner to Somerton and about 3 houses down, toddling along on the sidewalk, stopping about every 4 inches to point out cars and trucks going by, the mud and wawawa (puddles) on the sidewalk, pine cones, piles of snow, sticks. He followed COrydon onto people's lawns but did listen well when I asked him to stay out of the street. I think he is definitely in his language explosion right now-- he said at least 3 words I hadn't heard him say before, while we walked: Street, dirt, and stick. Well, stick is not really new, per say, but this was the first time since he was about 11 months old. And now, he's much better with his blends, so it sounded a lot more like "stick" this time and a lot less like a rather inappropriate word for an 18 month old to say... :)
After I finally wrestled the little walker into his stroller, we made it to the Coventry playground, where he had a blast walking around, commenting on the wood chips, asking for help to get up and down stairs and ladders, going down slides, following some older kids around...He also discovered that it was great fun to try to walk up the slide, and then flop onto his belly (shouting "dowwwwn!") and slide back down about a foot. Perhaps the cutest part of the trip to the park was when he decided that he was ready to go home. He started walking somewhat aimlessly, so I asked him if he was ready to leave. He said "uh huh!" and grabbed my hand and started right off onto the sidewalk towards his stroller. I am utterly amazed at how grown up he is getting...

No comments: