Sunday, November 2, 2008

Jack says: "Get out and VOTE!)





As I type, Jack is sleeping soundly, worn out from attending his third political rally. Yes, in his 14 months of life, Jack has already managed to be at 3 rallies. He's heard Bill Clinton, Hillary Clinton, and Barack Obama speak. He's learned how to "woot" at appropriate moments in speeches.
I am pretty proud of him, actually.

Today he was quite the little trouper as we headed downtown and then proceeded to wait for around 3 hours in order to hear Bruce Springsteen and Obama.... I am glad we went, but it made for a long day with a kind of bored baby. He loved crawling around on on the sidewalks and enjoyed the o-ba-ma chanting. My favorite moments were seeing Obama's plane land, and the "sing along" that happened when Bruce Springsteen did his rendition of "This land is your land." Looking around at the diverse faces around me, all members of my community, all like-minded, the words of the refrain echoing around me in thousands of voices...It was enough to make one feel very hopeful. Though right now, still 2 days to go til election day, I hardly dare to dream that we really might win this...

In other, more Jack-related news:
Here's how smart this baby is-- today he took the time to explain to me that the radiator in the bathroom is hot-- he reached out and tapped it very fast while saying "hot". He did that a few times, then, he touched the sink, looked at me questioningly, and said "hot" again. We discussed the difference between the sink and the radiator for a bit. He is such a little scientist!
In addition to the word "hot," Jack is also saying mama lot more these days (yay!) and is singing along with a lot of songs. Not that he is on-pitch, or singing actual words-- but still, you can tell the intent is there..

No comments: