Thursday, May 11, 2023

May days

Early May is off to a lovely start, with the notable exception of 4 days of 40 degree rain right at the beginning.  Luckily my tulips survived with flying colors.  

Aside from Ivy's birthday, the biggest highlight of this first week of May had to be the West Shore Chorale gala.  Part fundraiser, part retirement celebration for the inimitable John Drotleff, and 100% a great time. I opted to completely disregard the "business attire" suggested dress code and took myself shopping at Thriftique, where the universe brought me this entire ensemble for $20.  

I happily contributed cookies to the event, of course.
This man right here.  One of my lifelong heros and mentors, pretty much my second dad.  I've been singing with him for 30 years (!) and would literally not be the person I am today if not for his influence.  It was so emotional and inspiring to hear so many former students give tributes, echoing my own experience.  And it was one of the capstone moments of my life so far, to have him give me a hug and tell me that he is one of the pride and joy students of his career, and that he is so proud of me.  Any of you choral singers out there may know that we live for the approval of our directors, so this was pretty special.
We also thoroughly enjoyed being in the wonderful Hildebrandt building space, with its old industrial feel and huge windows-  and  a creepy forgotten basement area that we wandered into on a bathroom break.  I very much enjoy exploring abandoned spaces in fancy clothes....

Fiona and Jim came to town from Florida for the event and joined us at our table.  Another amazing human who I am so grateful for.  I miss driving her home from rehearsal-- those drives were a gift in my life...
Here's what happens at my house if you don't hang your dress up right away.  (Pink satin suits keeten, no?)
I've been dutifully trying to get back on the running horse.  It's a slog right now and I can't seem to get myself much past 2 miles with walk breaks... but I've gotten out 5 days in a row so somethings got to improve soon, right?  

Getting out for a run is a wonderful way to enjoy the string of gorgeous days we've had. I love this photo of Forest Hill park, all glowy and overgrown.  Cleveland Heights really is the Shire. 
Despite her face in this photo, Ivy was thrilled to receive her bookcases and with just one or two little foibles, built this one on her own. 
We continue to plug away at Lucknow.  The white trim in the kitchen is pleasing me and I just love our "drywall blue" paint color.  
Oh and!  Jen is back in town!  Extended her CLeveland "layover" home from St. Thomas til the 15th so the good times continue.  We had a great time catching up with Tony who is in town this week too.  My schedule and house are going to feel so empty when she leaves...
Our chickens, on a field trip. :) 
Participated in the Reaching Heights spelling bee with two of my COC comrades because we can't say no. :)  We were subbing for the orchestra team that has historically participated but had a dress rehearsal last night. It was more fun than expected- we were in the back row so we decided we could just talk and joke amongst ourselves the whole time--  and we did all right, lasted 4 rounds.  I might even do it again!

 


No comments: