Monday, September 3, 2018

Back to school we go!!

And just like that, they are off!  Third and Sixth (!) grade Heights Tigers.  Time sure does fly when you're having fun....

 No photo together on the porch this year for several reasons. Our poor boy was home sick for his first day of school, and his new school starts before Ivy even gets up. A change for sure.

I think I took for granted how sweet and easy it was when they were at the same school. I  knew it was temporary yet it seemed that was just the way things were, Boulevard was "my kids' school," plural, one stop shopping for conferences and events.

We've already gotten a taste for our new world order this week with two different curriculum nights filling up the second week of school, and a whole new building and set of procedures for us all to master with the Middle School.  Lots to learn for everyone!

At least this little girl gets to head off to her familiar place each morning.  She's off to a good start, happy to be in class with her friend Violet this year, though sadly separated from some friends she made last year...  As seems to be the pattern, she started the year with some strife thanks to a poorly behaved classmate... who then got moved to the other class without us even having to complain.  We are happy that she has qualified for pull out services in reading this year so will get a small break from the wild behavior of this tough group of kids.  I am just grateful that my girl is not a follower, and sticks to her guns with her belief in rules and the importance of EVERYTHING HER TEACHER SAYS.  I've never met a teacher-lover quite like this kid.    I'm not complaining!  I hope she keeps this for a long time.

 And this tall boy?  Not the easiest start for him what with being hit with a doozy of a virus (three weeks out and he's still not 100%).  He soldiered through 4 out of 5 days of his first week, not liking ANY of it. He put off the tiny bits of homework he was given,  complained about band and social studies, and generally sulked about school each evening,  and I was amazed and saddened to see my sweet boy morph into a grumpy full-on middle schooler in just a few short days...
I love this photo, the way Winter is looking up at him like, "Wait!  Where are you going?"
 Luckily, much of the sadness and ennui seems to have been more related to illness and fatigue than a permanent behavior change.  By late in week two we were seeing a few smiles and reports of friendship, details about teachers and classes, a positive attitude about homework.  At the end of week two our boy got a wakeup call when checking his grades-- when there've only been a few assignments, losing a few points on a shoddily completed homework makes a difference.  He stepped up to the challenge and spent the weekend redoing a few things to get points back.  So after a shaky start I am feeling more hopeful about his middle school experience.  There are so many opportunities for clubs and learning, and I love the way our Heights kids from all the elementaries get to come together in new ways and make new friends.  Fingers crossed for this big boy.  It's a huge transition for sure but I think he's going to do ok.

Meanwhile I had MY first day back, same as the kids. So, we were ALL a hot mess all week in the evenings, it turns out.  Our crew has a hard time transitioning away from summer vacation...

I am pleased as punch with my room arrangement and decor this year- my best ever, I think. Also, it turns out, quite possibly  my toughest group of kids, too.  But I will soldier on like my son and hope for improvement....

No comments: