Sunday, May 14, 2017

A happy mother ('s day)

Sitting here at the tail end of a lovely weekend, reflecting on this past week and wondering how we're already at half-past May, I am suffused with emotion.  This week has brought on, as the current saying goes, "all the feels."  Springtime weather seems to always bring an uptick in memorable moments and social events,  and seeing our ever-growing children approaching the end of another school year accelerates time even more.  The month of May is a juxtaposition of endings and beginnings all set to a backdrop of spring-green leaves.

Ivy has finished another round of rec ballet this week.  At observation night on Wednesday, another mom and I remarked at how much the girls have improved.  This group of little ones have been together in the class for a few sessions now, and even though this is not a "leveled" class, their teacher has been able to move them forward as a cohort, with the result that they really are noticeably more capable now than in December. Also I think maybe some sort of switch flipped when my girl turned seven.  All of a sudden she's got better balance, more poise.
Or maybe its just that she let me put her hair in an up-do for class.






We're hoping to get her into one more session before summer travel sets in, but it is hitting me already that we are heading into her last year in this wonderful program.  It does not seem so long ago that we were bringing our tiny, barely-three year old with her pigtails and round little belly, to the preschool class.  Who is this elegant girl who is one of the tallest ones there? The end of an era, approaching at breakneck speed through the soft light of a springtime evening...

Also finishing this week:  Crazy Saturdays!  The kids had their last MAA science academy session on Saturday morning.  We've enjoyed having them participate, to be sure.  I've treasured having a few stolen mornings with Nat, discovering new spots in our city.  I think, overall, the program was worth the early start to our weekend mornings.  This week, we played the "good parents" and went to the parent participation session (which we usually skip) instead of running off for a lunch date.  Sigh.  Nat and I make the worst students, I can tell you that.  We are nothing by critical and tend to keep a running commentary of events going between us, for the whole class.  This was no exception.  We did learn that Tupac Shaakur has a song about Machiavelli, though, so there's that.  The kids have liked the program, I think, and they certainly enjoyed their "graduation," thrilled to bits by their Certificates (our kids are just crazy about awards). They're quite proud that they have been "to college" already..

 And, just like that, 8 weeks are over...

Then, off to Jack's last soccer for the spring.  Seriously, May, with the endings!!

The 4-5 group was tiny this year, and they got little coaching supervision.  It was rather like a few friends decided to do a pick-up game, and there was a lot of internal coaching and self-policing going on.  Most of it from our boy, of course- the consummate rule follower!  With this small  of a group, and the fact that most older kids have moved out of soccer or on to travel teams at this point, Jack gets the thrill of being a big fish in a small pond.  I think he scored 5 goals in his last game. He certainly plays his heart out.

He's decided to try a week of soccer camp this summer, so be MUST love the sport...


 On the way out, we found a painted rock!  Our first since the originals back in February.  What fun!

Other events of note this week:

Can't forget Ivy's actual birthday!  A bit of a denouement when the party comes first. And what are you gonna do when a birthday falls on a MONDAY?  Go in late to work, that's what.  Special day breakfast and family dinner made the day a good one for our girl.










As did receiving a cage for her much-desired "land pet!"  We went and picked out the oh-so-creatively named "Hammie" on Tuesday....




Also this week-- I was terrifically spoiled with time for myself.  Got to do so many things to enrich my mind and heart. Choir rehearsal for the DCC singers (the little church I have been singing with) on Thursday, a retirement party with work colleagues Friday afternoon, then a delightful night at the art museum with my mom.  We heard an interview with an artist, then went and viewed his exhibition and it was such a cool experience, like guided reading for art. Not to mention the fact that I rather liked his artwork, and rather loved the old man himself.



Topped off "Crazy Saturday" by going straight from soccer to another amazing event with my mom-- a fundraiser at the Mather Mansion where we got to drink wine and wander the halls of the place, and then listen to a great storyteller weave tales of the history of Millionairres row.  Good stuff.  The best part was the "all access pass" we had to the Mansion.  Not every room was open, as much of the building is now now used as classrooms for CSU.  But what was open, was ours to explore.  We poked into cabinets and went all the way up to the 4th floor attic, even discovering a panel out onto the roof, where we stuck our heads out for a view of the city and the ornate chimneys.  I do love me some grand architecture!





Oh, and on OUR way out-- my mom and I found a painted rock!  When it rains, it pours!

Spent the evening at a baby shower and then a housewarming party. Great food and comfortable company in the homes of two people from two very different parts of my life.  I am wonder-struck by my good fortune in friends.  How lucky I am to have found, in this great big world, this unique collection of brilliant, interesting humans to spend my time with.


And today-- A lovely Mother's Day.  Delectable "special day breakfast" cooked by our breakfast-chef-in-residence, then off to sing at the church (a sweet collection of music for the day).  Home to relax and  rearrange the playroom (we are now housing the chicks, the bunny AND the hamster in there.  I think we are going to start calling it the the barn...).  Nat and the kids cleaned my car for me.  I attempted to relax and do something for myself, but before I could start into a writing exercise I found myself mopping the floors, planting some tomatoes, and socializing with our friend who spent the night.  I'm just not very good at relaxing, I guess.





Of course, no special day is complete without a visit to the lake.  The weather was cooler than yesterday but Edgewater was still a delicious sensory experience.  Warm sunlight drifting in and out of clouds, a soft breeze.  Rhythmic waves washing in, cold-not-cold water lapping my toes, sand and shells soft-rough underfoot. We walked the whole beach gathering seaglass and being not-in-a-hurry.   Jack sat on "shell mountain" to read his book in the sun.  I told Ivy I wanted to stay forever.  She proceeded to tell me I ought not come to the beach any more because I always wanted to stay like glue and that wasn't a good idea because if I stayed forever I'd have to drink dirty water and eat sand.  Girl makes a solid point. Yet-- still a tempting tradeoff on a day like today.









Dinner with mom and Bec and a quiet bedtime with one of my favorite books (Because of Winn-Dixie) as our read-aloud, and we're back to where we started.  Out in the "barn" the hamster is running and the chicks are scratching about.  My old dog is sleepy by my feet and Nat and I share our lovely old oak dining table to get some work done in the quiet of the night.  The house is softly lit and comfortable and from this angle, not looking too bad for 100 years old.   I have 10 teaching days left of my school year and 25 days of teaching to fit into them. We are planning out our summer calendar.  Endings and beginnings and time stretched out and time flying and I am full of gratitude and love and tenderness for all of it.


No comments: