Wednesday, June 8, 2016

Summertime, and the living is easy...

Good morning, dear readers.  I write to you today from the comfort of my neighborhood Starbucks, where I am spending the morning drinking coffee and NOT doing housework or schoolwork. I'm off work, my kids are at school, and this time is my own.  

Crazy.  I'm not quite sure what to do with myself.

It might be 54 degrees out in Cleveland right now, but it is SUMMER and I love it. 

Let's catch up over coffee, shall we?

------
Finishing up Memorial Day weekend:

One for the books,for sure.  Great weather all weekend, and plenty of time for family and friends.

A simple, impromptu cookout at Melinda and Will's house on Saturday...

Playing football with the dads.

Can't stop this kid from reading.  He's currently re-reading the Eragon series for fun.

SO many cicadas!  Crazy that we don't have ANY in the Heights.

Ivy's quote of the day:  "Give me a stick and I'll BURN it!"

Monday-- a run in the morning, a cookout with mom and Bec, and a lake visit...


My happy place.


After a quiet afternoon, we looked outside and noticed it was STILL a perfect day. So we went back to the lake for sunset.  Discovered that North Coast Harbor is a pretty fine place to watch it, as we joined hundreds of other sunset-pilgrims and gathered to watch the light show.  I do so love where I live.











 Followed up that stellar weekend by abandoning my family and running off to Washington DC.  This is my third year on the trip and it sure is the best way to end the school year.  I don't even mind getting up at 4am to leave, or the 7 hour bus ride.  Finished 2.5 novels on the road this year, saw some pretty sights, enjoyed watching the antics of 50 excited 8th graders.  Good trip. 





Quiet solo lunch in the Smithsonian Sculpture Garden.  I love day 3 of this trip...


I love this.  FDR, you are my hero.
Back home and it was June!  Against all odd I managed to finish my progress reports AND clean and pack my room by 2:00 on Friday.  Phew.  I still can't believe how fast this year went.  It was such a nice year, I wish I could press "pause" and not rush on to the next one, as there are no guarantees for the future, you know?

Friday night festivities:  the Boulevard Blast!  



Oh, Hook-a-Prize, how the kids love you!  And how full of random crap my house is, because of you...



Saturday:  Cleaning and prepping for the arrival of our summer boarder, Kevin. Who knew we'd be renting out nonstop when we signed up for Airbnb!  Took the kids to a birthday party at Skyzone.  A quiet day, really. 

Sunday: Started prepping for our next home renovation (because we can't let the summertime living be TOO easy!) by going to Lowe's and buying some new flooring for our bathroom.  Goodbye, old cracked tile!!
the Before picture:


No after picture yet because as I type Nat is probably ignoring his work on his book in order to fight with our charming old-house plumbing... the new floor looks fab but somewhere in the process of moving the bathtub to install it, we've sprung a leak.  Par for the course with this house; we should have expected it.  Still-- ugh.   

BUT!  The bathroom is going to look really nice.  I even ordered a pretty new shower curtain!  Looking on the bright side...

This week, when I've not been kind  of uselessly assisting Nat with our project, I've been taking the kids to school, picking them up, and going to their class picnics.  Not a bad gig.








Corydon got more love than she could handle these two days, and was totally the hit of both parties.  There is a LOT of love to go around among Ivy's kindergarten class, that is for sure!  I got plenty of hugs myself! :)  Such a difference between Kindergarten and third grade, as you can tell from the pictures-- those third graders were off at a distance, playing beautifully amongst themselves, no teacher or parent needed.  The little ones were always close at hand and wanted me to follow them and be a part of their games.  They change so fast!

Ivy was so cute and careful passing out our mini fruit-skewers to her classmates.  It was totally her idea to put grapes and melon on skewers for the party.  Can you tell which kid has grown up with a Pinterest-party planning mom??

Oh- and sometimes running off to the Lake and having dinner with the WSC chorale board and going to the Art Museum's 100th birthday celebration.




Making silkscreen posters.


Ivy is getting really into photography. :) 

Summer, you are off to a great start!

No comments: