Friday, November 3, 2023

Happy Halloween!

Pictured above:  Halloween cut-outs produced, start to finish, in a 24 hour period instead of my usual 3 days... because I realized I ought to make them the day before the holiday...


 Holidays this year have just been sneaking up on me. Seriously, did someone change the time setting for my life to "warp speed"?  Because there is simply no other explanation for the fact that Halloween has come and gone already.

It was a good one, though!  As in the past few years, I've found myself nostalgic for the days of yore, with my tiny cuties holding my hand (and me holding their treat pumpkin) as we meandered through our festive neighborhood.  I think I am starting to adjust and accept the reality of Halloween with teens, though.  And Halloweening with these more capable humans has some perks, too. Like the fact that Ivy did the construction of at least half of her costume herself.  And both kids went off to friends' neighborhoods for trick or treat leaving me free to relax with my own friends for the evening. 

We didn't have a family costume this year (time, teens, blame what you will) but Ivy and I pulled together a paired costume for the Cedar Lee candy crawl and while my hastily assembled Cheshire Cat dould not hold a candle to her full-on cosplay Mad Hatter, we had fun together and many people figured out the theme.  I was grateful to be included in one of her Halloween nights out (Coven-treat and the night itself were with some school friends, yay!) and of course had a wonderful time seeing people we know.



Costume number two- a crayon for school.  Our special ed team dressed up as a "box of crayons" and had 8 colors all together.  I was the only one with a homemade hat (the premade set did not come with white) but I have to say it turned out pretty well.  Even had one kiddo reach up to touch the hat, saying, "is it real??"  Kids are so cute. 



Costume number three for me-- borrowing Ivy's Mad Hatter for a party with my COC friends.  Since I don't have her hair, I added the orange wig.  It was a hoot to do full makeup and be "in character."  I love the way wigs can change your whole persona.  Made me miss theater.... 


Holly as the White Rabbit and Mika as a very convincing Wednesday Addams.

Jeff is a relatively new friend to our COC squad but we already adore him.  AND his brand new boyfriend Chris who we met at the party.  The joy on their faces the whole night... it was amazing.
Costume number 2 for Ivy-- Halloween Horse Show!  Goose, Tico and the girls went as Pinky and The Brain.  There were some issues with the girls' homemade ears but check out the ears and whiskers on the horses! The rest of the show was adorable as usual, though the cold and rainy weather made it less than pleasant to stand around in the arena.  But it was worth it to see Ivy confidently handling Zeus around the barrels, in her element at her barn.  She's made such progress in the past year. 




The boy did in fact participate in Halloween, too.  Just in his own, very last-minute way. Nat left on October 27th for his 3 week teaching gig in Brazil (he is swimming in an outdoor pool near Sao Paulo as I type this!) so in an effort to step up as a temporarily-single mom I told the kids we'd get pumpkins over the weekend and carve them on Monday when I we could all be together, and that they could each invite friends if they wanted.  Saturday Jack asks-- is that time for pumpkin carving, like, set?  Because I might have some friends over.  NOT the kid I expected to take me up on the friends!  Of course he did not know the time or the guests til about 2 hours beforehand on Sunday but luckily we'd picked up enough pumpkins and his night went swimmingly.  Porch full of teens with carving tools!

I do wish he'd have friends over more.  I love these kids and having a house-ful just feels good to me. 
Pretty quality work!  Raising 'em right.
Somewhere between October 27th and October 31st, Mother Nature realized it was fall and just, got on that. Our little Cleveland Heights world is just made of fallen leaves and I am choosing to see it as beautiful, rather than a chore-waiting-to-happen. 
Girl and I got on the pumpkin carving bandwagon on Monday, just us two. 
She carved this beast of a pumpkin all on her own, while I had fun with the easy little ones. 
Then it was the ACTUAL DAY!  Rushing around as always to get dinner in the kids and get them off.  Ivy and her friends indulged the moms in some posed photos before heading off.  


Jack came up with a last minue costume (after saying for weeks he did not need one!) of "a peasant drafted into a war" by wearing brown and tucking his sword in his belt.  Then off to Henry's for a bit of trick or treating and some hanging out. 

I arranged our pumpkins and then abandoned our not-so-visited house to pass out candy on Compton with a new friend from Cocktail Choir and Windsong.
... and her amazing cape!  Had a nice time with a little group of singing friends, plus CJ's mom who I adored. Then back to pick up kids and sort candy and watch Hocus Pocus and eat those cookies and celebrate a holiday well-done. 



No comments: