Wednesday, September 14, 2016

Night on the town

This evening we  continued our tradition of wandering on Wade Oval.  Exquisite weather with just a touch of chill to the air.  We ambled to the Art museum, then across to the Gardens.  Two of my favorite places, hands down.  A gentle yellow light and soft sunset falling over the Oval, russet gold in the sky to one side and a glowing full moon rising to the other.  Unhurried play, two happy kids, the world aglow with flowers and art and late summer goodness.


A few of my favorite moments from the night:

Playing with the "virtual potter's wheel" in the Studio Play area, and how much fun the kids had when we discovered that all three of us could "form" the "clay" at the same time. Ivy making a collage and then acting out a family with the figures she'd selected.


Climbing on the seed sculptures-- Ivy getting herself all wrapped around and balance on  a high bar before saying, calmly, "I'm not sure this is safe?"  I asked her, "well, how do you feel?"  Arms and legs clinging tight, she thought for a moment and reported, "I think I'm ok.  I might be a little scared"-- and then she shimmied on down, like nobody's business.



Playing hide and seek in the children's garden-- we were just there a few minutes but the magic of the place worked fast and the kids were instantly ready to play and explore.  Watching fish, wandering in the quiet.  And-- tomatoes from the vine as a treat for being the last ones in the garden!



The beautiful young people gathered and  playing and flirting and laughing at the Garden happy hour-- all of them so gorgeous and full of excitement.  Remembering how we were those gathered young people, with our friends, not so long ago.  Yet-- a lifetime ago.  Or-- two lifetimes... as we watched our little ones run ahead.  And feeling so absolutely content to be at this place in my life instead of the one before.


In the glasshouse-- so many butterflies, whipping about!  We were bombarded, with several butterflies alighting on each of us.  We exclaimed, and laughed, eyes wide.  Jack, all wide smile and twinkling eyes, saying, "It's ok mom, I had a fright, too!"  What nine year old talks like that???? Mine, that's who.  I could not love him more.


Tonight, I am grateful for these moments to laugh with my children, be in love with my city, and soak up the joy of a September day.


----------------------

Other events of note this week:

A great half marathon on Sunday.  Really-- it was great! Such perfect weather, such a nice fast course.  I felt like I really pushed myself and I was so excited to be under my goal time by 4 minutes! A PR is a nice way to start the week.  Also pleasing-- wasn't really that sore!

Had a great lunch out with mom at the Wine Bar in Rocky River (so many dogs on the patio!  Such fun!) and then joined the fam at the NeoCycle festival at Edgewater.  Soaked up the gorgeous day so well that I got myself a sunburn.






I  do love this festival.  It is the most laidback event-- and always full of quality swag.  Plus, you can't beat the location.  Or the randomness of an intense cyclo-cross race weaving all around you.




And-- Tuesday:  First "real" riding lessons.  The kids did great!  Jack had this huge grin on his face the whole time. He rode Secrecy and I think he really enjoyed being on the "big horse".  He was so very proud and looked so confident out there.  He took criticism in stride, tried his best on every task Dayan gave him.. who is this child??  Becca would say its just the magic of horses at work...  And Ivy?  She loved every minute too.  She rode Lacey, who was in a slow-moving mood.  So we got to hear lots and lots of Ivy's emphatic "Walk" with her little legs winging out to give Lacey a kick.  And her stern "Whoa!" with an Ivy-fierce yank on the reins... oh my!  That poor pony did not know what she was getting into.  Watching the kids curry their horses after the lesson-- I could see the good riding will do them, manifesting in their contented and tired little faces.  Wish we could be there every day but twice a month will have to suffice for now....




Ivy really loved trotting!

No comments: