Sunday, June 15, 2014

Summer: Week One

Jack has been on summer vacation for one week now. I've been on vacation for three days.  If this first week is any indication, this summer is going to fly.

Our school year in Solon went about a week longer than it ought to, in my opinion.  I decided to cope with this by going on the 8th grade DC trip.  I had a great time.  I'd never been to Gettysburg, and its been years since I've seen the capital.  What a beautiful city!  For some reason, though, everywhere we visited was just swarming with middle schoolers... :)



My sweet boy missed me.  I love this kid.
 While I was away, my family settled into summer..

All of a sudden this boy is a reader!  Curling up with a book to start the day...
 Swimming lessons have been a hit.  Both kids jumped right into their classes and they've been staying at the pool for 2-3 hours every day.  Jack has met a new friend from the neighborhood, and one of Ivy's best friends from preschool is in a lesson right after hers.  Mornings at the pool = gratitude for this community. It feels good to be a part of something.




Kite-flying at Rocky River beach.  I wasn't there myself, but now we can all picture it...





Two days after my return from DC, Nat and I packed up our bags again and headed down to Hiram for a luxurious two days away, at Alumni Weekend.  The trip was marked by a number of fun experiences that we never did while actually AT Hiram: Canoeing at Camp Hi, visiting the Observatory, the balcony of third Hinsdale.  Of course we also enjoyed the ubiquitous golf cart rides, steady stream of cocktails, and the peace and nostalgia of being in one of our favorite places on earth.  As far as reunions go, this one was a bust as I was actually the only member of the class of '99 to attend our reunion dinner.  Sigh.  We'll have to get to work on our 20th now, and try to do better...  Regardless, it was a great weekend away with the man I love.

Ready to canoe!!  It was a hoot.

This guy.  Napping outside the dining hall.  I aspire to be like him when I am a Golden Terrier.

Enjoying "Beer School" with Kate and Marc.

Singing with the Alumni Choir.

Never been on THIS balcony before!  We followed this by breaking into and wandering around in every building we could on campus.  Because why not? 

We returned to the real world today, in time to celebrate Father's Day as a family, with lunch at the Chinese Buffet and then a trip to Edgewater.  It was a perfect day and the lake was hopping.  Dogs bounding everywhere, boats moored close to shore, a nice breeze off the water.


We're settled back in at home now and I am looking forward to a couple of days without packing OR unpacking, thank you very much.

Happy Summer, all!

No comments: