Monday, January 13, 2014

Born cows and ferris wheels

Who knew that the prescription for the January doldrums is for one's husband to get sick, forcing one to step up energetically to the task of Entertaining The Children and Keeping Them Out of the House.  There is something about the complete focus required for this task-- it grounds me and brings to clarity all that there is to be enjoyed in this life.
 
*Side note:  I am not actually glad my husband is sick.  Just taking gratitude where I can find it as I reflect on what was for me a pretty grand weekend.   I can do this even while pitying Nat and hoping he feels better very very soon.

Enjoying things like:

*A spring thaw in winter.  We had temps in the 40's and 50's this weekend, which represents a pretty significant rise from this time last week.  The sad part is the muddy swamp that has replaced our once-snowy outdoor vista.  The upside:  being able to take the dog for a walk again!   The kids and I opened our Saturday morning with the longest one block walk in history, as they "skated" on the icy sidewalks and climbed the melting snow mountains, exclaiming over each found object because it was so novel to see the earth again.  It was so warm that we felt inspired to go to Lake Farmpark later that day, where we had the opportunity to see...

*A newborn baby calf.  And when I say newborn I mean NEWborn.  As in, the afterbirth was still coming out as the mama cow licked that wet, surprised-looking baby.  Jack was both repulsed and fascinated by what he observed of the birth process.  Ivy was more interested in the sheep next door, who watched the proceedings closely, head between fence bars.


The day turned drizzly on us but not before we had the chance to feed miniature horses, pet some lovely full-size horses out for a walk, and take Ivy's doll on her first ever wagon ride.  We always enjoy our days at the Farmpark.



Sunday brought a spur-of-the-moment plan with Melinda, who decided we ought to take the kids off to the RV show at the IX Center. Just she and I and our four, off to the giant brown box of a Convention Center to look at Recreational Vehicles.  Might be one of the stranger decisions I've made with my leisure time-- but also one of the best.  We all had a blast, climbing in and out of dozens of giant luxury RV's, winning prizes from the the Progressive booth, watching an animal show... and of course, riding the giant indoor ferris wheel.  Twice.












I've managed to squeeze a bit of cleaning and the cooking of three chickens for dinner swap into the day and I am feeling pleased with how I've spent my time this weekend.  May 2014 continue along this path, thank you very much....

**Bonus pictures--

The kids have started skating lessons!  Ivy is doing stunningly, fearless and excited to be on the ice.  Jack is independent, off skating with friends before his lesson. Good times.



Ivy says, "I haf to take care of all of dese tings.  I haf to nuggle them.  It is hard work!"


No comments: