Sunday, September 1, 2024

That special back-to-school feeling...

 What is this thing I am feeling?  Could it be... exhaustion? As I realize anew each year, there is no tired like the first few weeks back to school tired. Thar rare combination of waking up early and working all day, paired with high emotion, and topped off with a good dose of "but its still summer, dammit!"  It is a challenging transition, to fit all the living and viccicitudes thereof which used to take a full summer day, into the 5 hours of daylight left after work.  Five hours of luscious, summer daylight begging you to go to the pool  or the lake of just sit outside with a cocktail. 

I am three weeks into my teaching year and life has not stopped for one minute of those weeks.  

Nor would I have wanted it too.  I am so very tired... but I'm not giving up a minute of this last bit of summer. Maybe I'l rest in November or something. 

The week after I went back, the kids started their freshman and senior years at Heights High.  I went in to work late to see them off because you don't miss a "last first day." I can't beleive my little babies are both in high school and my heart is not ready for Jack to be a senior... but time marches on and both of these tall, smart, determined and all around wonderful young people are very ready for this "level up"- even if both of them have been pretty darn tired since starting, too.  They're both playing golf after school, plus Jack continued working at Cumberland through the end of the month. I sure am grateful that Jack drives right now!



Just for fun- the last time Ivy joined Jack at a school, Kindergarten and third grade.



Sandwiched in around first days and work days... a spectacular weekend for me.

Holly and I had tickets to see the Indigo Girls and Melissa Etheridge in Chatuaqua on the 16ht.  We decided to make a weekend of it as Calida and Jacob's wedding was that Sunday.  So, two nights away, an amazing concert experience (front row for the win), time with Meg in Buffalo, and a beautiful wedding celebration, all in three days.  It was the perfect reward for surviving the first week of what promises to be a very... hectic... school year. 

It's hard to pick just a few photos to encapsulate that weekend, but I'll try.  I'm also going to copy here a FB post I made reflecting on the concert, because I want to remember the way it made me feel. 

"Ok. Favorite concert moments in roughly chronological order... and, go!
* making a new friend on our drive to Chautauqua when we gave a ride to a neighbor who I've never actually met before
*meeting the adorable couple from Saskatchewan who sat next to us in our front row center seats, with their matching Birkenstocks and dance moves
*singing "Power of Two" and feeling those lyrics ringing in my heart in a whole new way
*when they sang "Share the Moon" and Amy mixed up the lyrics and had to start over. They are just so real and adorable ❤️
* when they sang "Share the Moon" again 🙂. I love that song
* the fact that Amy was existing on some other plane entirely all night, smiling and gesturing and just being awesome and SO happy
* the moment at the ending of Look Long when it was so quiet and Holly Miller and I hit the perfect harmonies singing along and the rest of the Amphitheatre just faded away and it was the four of us singing together
*singing Galileo and Kid Fears and Closer to Fine pressed up against the stage in a crowd of other fan girls and the love was palpable
*when Melissa Etheridge came out to join in on Kid Fears and brought the perfect low harmony
*Melissa's whole performance. I knew I loved some of her songs back in the day but I've never seen her live and I was blown away. What a consumate performer. The way she worked the crowd, her facial expressions, and her voice, richer and lower these 25 years later, powerful as ever
* when Amy and Emily came back out to sing Sleep While I Drive and it was magic and heart-rending and everyone there was on the edge of tears
* the enthusiasm and crush and joy of the crowd at the stage for Melissa's last 4 songs
* Come to my Window took me right back to freshman year, standing backstage waiting to go on for my first theater show at Hiram
* getting not one but two set lists and finding a pick on stage after the Indigo Girls set
* being so wired after the concert that we stayed up until 3 AM
What. A. Night.
Live, shared music is so very life-giving, and I am so very grateful for these opportunities to be a part of it"
All reactions:
Nathaniel Morehouse, Becca Miklovich and 37 others

                              

We're going to get spoiled, seeing Meg twice in two weeks!  This time we got to see her lovely home and eat amazing ramen and snuggle with Zora on the couch.  A perfect way to receover from concert night.

                                        

Sunday's spotty rainshowers held off for the wedding ceremony and from where we sat, everything went off without a hitch. A beautiful celebration, really good food, an open bar, and great company.


And also a day-long reminder of one of the many things I love about Holly- her loyalty and love for her people, the way she never falters in her support for each of us becoming our best selves.  She is extraordinary.




Back to work on Monday but also straight into more fun with friends-- and two more musical events!  Pub Choir with Mike and his sister, and Jen and Holly and I.  A bit tooo much pregaming before on Jen's porch, perhaps, but we *did* enjoy ourselves.



Blustery lake picture, becaues our lake is always beautiful.
Then Tuesday we were off to the West Shore Chorale summer sing. 90 minutes of Beethoven joy (plus Holly sang in a quartet so I got to actually hear her voice in a choral setting for a change <3 ) 


Photo of snuggly chicken nugget just because.
Thursday we finally made it to an East Shore Park Club concert- first of the summer.  It was a delight.  Met new neighbors, watched a beautiful sunset, tried to control our energetic puppy...

And suddenly- Friday again and off to Cincinnati for another long-awaited weekend, attending Mika's sister's baby shower.  Which included a meet-and-greet at a French restaurant on Friday night, and then an all out boozy brunch the next afternoon.  A two-day baby shower- who knew?  Mika's family is just splendid.  Kind and brilliant and generous, every one of them.  They have scooped me up like I belong to them and it is a warm and wonderful thing.  So grateful. 










Because this is what happens when you let us have a lot of Bloody Mary's and then some time at a table with adorable woodland centerpieces.... 
 (Have I mentioned I love my friends?)

Had a spontaneous bonfire with the kids on Saturday to enjoy the perfect summer evening and burn some dead shrubbery and it was a delight of a half hour before the bugs drove us inside.  Chatting, making plans for future travel, trying to see if we would light all the other trees on fire....

Then Sunday was for cleaning and playing catch up before happy hour at Cavotta's with Jen and then dinner with Teresita, a new Windsong friend who refers to us as "the fun girls".





And.... back to another 5 day work week...

I think I'll pause here for a moment because... I'm tired. 
(wonder why??)



No comments: